Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Finer Moments
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
chrisfromparis
france.gif
Post 2012-12-18 12:28   [Quote] 
rupert pupkin wrote:
agamon wrote:
It´s now on spotify

where on spotify please ? Question
I'm in France, it looks like spotify is something like deezer.
I've just subscribed only to listen to Finer Moments... Very Happy (I don't have a fessebook account).
I can see many albums such as Mothermania or the new Understanding America but no Finer Moments... Confused
perhaps it's on someone playlist (someone would have uploaded it on spotify ?) (or perhaps the Finer Moments content is not available from France ? Confused )

Not available for me either. I previously noticed some delay between countries. Some people here have said that this or that release was available on Spotify, but it took a few days before it was available in France. Un peu de patience, I say !
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2012-12-18 13:58   [Quote] 
chrisfromparis wrote:
rupert pupkin wrote:
agamon wrote:
It´s now on spotify

where on spotify please ? Question
I'm in France, it looks like spotify is something like deezer.
I've just subscribed only to listen to Finer Moments... Very Happy (I don't have a fessebook account).
I can see many albums such as Mothermania or the new Understanding America but no Finer Moments... Confused
perhaps it's on someone playlist (someone would have uploaded it on spotify ?) (or perhaps the Finer Moments content is not available from France ? Confused )

Not available for me either. I previously noticed some delay between countries. Some people here have said that this or that release was available on Spotify, but it took a few days before it was available in France. Un peu de patience, I say !

well; désolé mais j'ai du mal à être patient quand ça concerne Zappa Very Happy ; well while I figured how to find it on spotify from France, I've been able to find a way to listen to it without Spotify... roflol
this is a killer release... I hope that my gandsmusic order will be shipped soon...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2012-12-18 18:08   [Quote] 
You know what guys when Frank whips it out on SLEAZETTE... i'm taken back in time to my first discovery of Frank's guitar playing on Weasels... a fantastic solo and a proper MOTHERS!!! album what a find...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Atonal
uk.gif
Post 2012-12-18 20:20   [Quote] 
That is a nice solo, mean tone and some interesting phrasing.
In fact, since the Albert Hall 1969 show was professionally recorded I wouldn't mind if the whole show was released. In the Finer Moments Intro Frank promises various chamber music pieces which I find are sadly lacking from this release. It's those tightly written, sensitively scored pieces that provide such a contrast to the more groove based modal improvisations, the one enhancing the other.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2012-12-18 21:19   [Quote] 
hope I have time to listen to mine tonight. Just got some new Whiskeys and want to do some sampling and listening Smile

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
P-L
Busy Poster
Post 2012-12-18 21:34   [Quote] 
wingedeelfingerling wrote:
mines here from AMAZON UK ... 1 day before release date!

Mine too. Got a £0.90p refund on it, & a £0.66p refund on Lather. hmm
Jobs a good 'un! thumbsup
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Quesons Chicken
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-18 21:51   [Quote] 
Pepe Nusbaum wrote:
hope I have time to listen to mine tonight. Just got some new Whiskeys and want to do some sampling and listening Smile

Oh hopefully you post reviews... On the whiskeys and the tunes.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mondolunch
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-18 23:54   [Quote] 
Was Don Preston's ability a sign of the end of the mothers? FZ had some real classically trained talent... and wanted more?

DP is just fantastic on this recording.

Mondo

franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2012-12-18 23:58   [Quote] 
Atonal wrote:
That is a nice solo, mean tone and some interesting phrasing.
In fact, since the Albert Hall 1969 show was professionally recorded I wouldn't mind if the whole show was released. In the Finer Moments Intro Frank promises various chamber music pieces which I find are sadly lacking from this release. It's those tightly written, sensitively scored pieces that provide such a contrast to the more groove based modal improvisations, the one enhancing the other.

Oh Howie, you're so professional. Patricia, the loveable dog from The Perfect Stranger (and others!), dancing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2012-12-19 02:39   [Quote] 
rupert pupkin wrote:
I've been able to find a way to listen to it without Spotify...

Yep, it's a nice release, though I still can't see any good reason for putting it ahead of... aw, nevermind, you all know what I was going to say. Very Happy

Don't remember this being mentioned here, but for those keeping track the ending of "Uncle Rhebus" is a fragment from 200 Motels/Bogus Pomp.

And isn't "Music from the Big Squeeze" the soundtrack FZ made for that Luden cough drops commercial?

rupert pupkin
Poster
france.gif
Post 2012-12-19 07:07   [Quote] 
yetanother wrote:
rupert pupkin wrote:
I've been able to find a way to listen to it without Spotify...

Yep, it's a nice release, though I still can't see any good reason for putting it ahead of... aw, nevermind, you all know what I was going to say. Very Happy

Don't remember this being mentioned here, but for those keeping track the ending of "Uncle Rhebus" is a fragment from 200 Motels/Bogus Pomp.

And isn't "Music from the Big Squeeze" the soundtrack FZ made for that Luden cough drops commercial?

I've ordered it on gandsmusic.
For what its worth, I'm a bit disappoined with the content of CD2. Had I listened to the discs first, perhaps I wouldn't have bought it...

I already own the box set Carnagie Hall (fantastic release), and was disappointed to find that the only track with Zappa on guitar was the last one- which I already knew.
When I saw the track-listing, I was very excited about 1972 era tracks... thinking it could be some stuff like on "One Shot Deal" (one of my favorite "recent" Zappa release...)

In fact, the CD2 turns out to be a sound effect experiment side, not a guitar experiment, not the synclavier era (which I love), not the Lumpy Gravy era (which is one of my all time fav' album).
well, that's not totally my cup of tea. Sorry. There's so many era in Zappa world, and there are some stuff I do prefer...
altough tracks I from different era - including the 1972 track, they really "fit together"...

on the other side, CD1 is a killer...

Sleazette... imslow great guitar solo! I love THAT sound ! (if I'm doing a Shut Up its XMas and Let's Play Guitar : I'll put this track right after Treacherous Cretins 79 from France Pau de Chambre (sorry) (it's one of the best live track which surfaced by the way)

The Old Curiosity Shope (killer track!) and of course the Uncle Rhebus tracks are fantastic...
I already knew some tracks on CD1... (altough perhaps I'm not sure that the gig is exactly the same) weren't some tracks on a compilation (acetate ?) on zappateers which surfaced a couple of years ago (perhaps the one with the Unicrayon gaz-mask artwork ?) - it seems that I've already heard a lot of snippets on other Zappa releases or rarities, altough it's difficult for me to point out exactly which release.

next time, I should read the first reviews (I didn't because I didn't want to spoil me the thing...)
in a nutshell it's a live concert typical MOI for side 1 and "experiment" compilation (well done I have to admit) for CD2 + 1 bonus live track.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
michael
Post 2012-12-19 14:10   [Quote] 
So, to wrap it up: Uncle Rhebus is second part of the Uncle Meat/King Kong medley, and ends with Piano/Drum Duet, which used to be part of Piece One a.k.a. Like It Or Not, later to become the Redneck Eats section in Bogus Pomp.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
michael
Post 2012-12-19 14:56   [Quote] 
The Clap sounds pretty much like the Enigmas. Could The Clap be Sunset Sound 1968 rather than The Record Plant 1970? If the Finer Moments notes and referred session sheets are absolutely correct, this would not be the case. Do Joe T, Greg R, Pat B or anybody else know for sure?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-19 15:18   [Quote] 
michael wrote:
The Clap sounds pretty much like the Enigmas. Could The Clap be Sunset Sound 1968 rather than The Record Plant 1970? If the Finer Moments notes and referred session sheets are absolutely correct, this would not be the case. Do Joe T, Greg R, Pat B or anybody else know for sure?

I'll check further when my Finer Moments arrives today or tomorrow, but my guess is that The Clap is indeed FZ on drums/percussion like the credits say, and judging from the sample Enigmas is Art Tripp. FZ's playing was a bit sloppier than Art's.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
alfonzo
Busy Poster
canada.gif
Post 2012-12-19 16:16   [Quote] 
At precisely 12:01 into Uncle Rhebus is "Baked Bean Boogie" from YCDTOSA #5 but this time it goes on till the end without a fade-out...So, Uncle Rhebus is an edited version as this should be at 23:25 on King Kong (instead of the awful noise)... The beginning of Uncle Rhebus is really the KK part at 8:01 on The Ark...It will be interesting to patch all these together properly and have a (complete, though with sound variation) version of King Kong...So these fragments come in handy for the Zappa archivist!...Keep'em comin' ZFT! Razz
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 12 of 26 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: