Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Finer Moments
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next  
boguspomp
Busy Poster
italy.gif
Post 2012-12-10 16:26   [Quote] 
IMHO, it's time for some newer music again...

It would be great for the folks that weren't born in the 50's, to see some 81/82/84 or even 88' material released.

The old stuff is important historically, but otherwise not a valuable addition to my collection. I will listen to it once and put it away. I want to get music that I will listen to all the time, i.e. Passaic 78' is so great, I enjoyed it at least 10 times by now. That's what I'm talking about.

cheers
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-12-10 17:38   [Quote] 
I want it all released. This sounds like an excellent choice - something else put together by FZ. There is lots of stuff in the vault I assume but there has to be a limited amount of stuff put together by FZ - I hope all of that comes out - along with at least one road tape of each tour (in the case of 88 - since there was material galore - maybe enough for 3 or 4 shows - at least that many.

This release looks like something along the lines of Weasels Ripped My Flesh which is a very good thing.

I want it ALL!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2012-12-10 18:27   [Quote] 
I want MOI material. I enjoy it and I will listen to it regoularely, in fact, much more than a 1988 show

cheers

cekman
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-11 00:10   [Quote] 
Just did a quick bit of Googling, and found samples for the second disc on a German site:
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/Frank-Zappa-Finer-Moments/hnum/1896231

The Big Squeeze seems to be the same as the Lost Episodes, and the sample of Squeeze It matches the Mystery Disc version - no surprises there.

I found a match for There Is No Heaven From Where Slogans Go To Die. It appears to be the same as You Call That Music? on YCDTOSA vol. 4. That track is 4:07, and the version on the Artisan acetate, titled 'East L.A.', is 4:59; the Finer Moments version is listed as 4:37, which splits the difference.

The sample for The Subcutaneous Peril is, indeed, the Pound for a Brown solo from Carnegie Hall, which was to have been released under the same title on the second disc of JABFLA. Except that can't possibly be all of it, because the Finer Moments track is 19:41, while the purported JABFLA track, which comprises the whole solo, clocks in at 5:15. So that's a mystery. Maybe it's a collage of different improvisations?

As for the rest of it: fucked if I know. The sample for Enigmas 1 Thru 5 is all percussion. I'd guess that it's studio, rather than live. The sample for Pumped and Waxed is mostly electronic tones, with those telephone-button harmonies Frank loved, along with some pizzicato guitar.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
cekman
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-11 03:03   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
There is also this version of Billy The Mountain where the guitar solo is not from Pauley or Carnegie (also seems to have some vocal overdubs in Studebaker Hoch). Is this the same solo?

I just checked, but that version only has a solo from Frank. Ian either didn't solo or got edited out.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-11 03:13   [Quote] 
cekman wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
There is also this version of Billy The Mountain where the guitar solo is not from Pauley or Carnegie (also seems to have some vocal overdubs in Studebaker Hoch). Is this the same solo?

I just checked, but that version only has a solo from Frank. Ian either didn't solo or got edited out.

Yes, I had thought this morning that it was an FZ solo in that sample, but listening now it sounds like Ian's sax solo.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
wingedeelfingerling
Busy Poster
burma.gif
Post 2012-12-11 08:57   [Quote] 
boguspomp wrote:
IMHO, it's time for some newer music again...

It would be great for the folks that weren't born in the 50's, to see some 81/82/84 or even 88' material released.

The old stuff is important historically, but otherwise not a valuable addition to my collection. I will listen to it once and put it away. I want to get music that I will listen to all the time, i.e. Passaic 78' is so great, I enjoyed it at least 10 times by now. That's what I'm talking about.

cheers

IMHO the 80s was a terrible time for Frank's rockin-combo recordings ersatz jazz played by session musos with some infantile sex lyrics and dubious politics... his guitar playing disappearing up his own arse with effects... his classical work was much more rewarding however... it would have been interesting to see what he would have done post 80's....
HOWEVER I do agree that you guys who like the 80's stuff should be served by the PROGRAM.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2012-12-11 14:13   [Quote] 
The thing is, almost the entire YCDTOSA series is the 84 band only.

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
czgibson
uk.gif
Post 2012-12-11 14:44   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:

Umm, what?

Vols 2 and 5 have no 84 band at all...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2012-12-11 15:15   [Quote] 
czgibson wrote:
bleachboy wrote:

Umm, what?

Yeah I was just exaggerating. But Volume 3 and 4 is full of the 84 band, makes me sick! Laughing I don't think we need anything else from this band.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2012-12-11 16:33   [Quote] 
bleachboy wrote:
czgibson wrote:
bleachboy wrote:

Umm, what?

Yeah I was just exaggerating. But Volume 3 and 4 is full of the 84 band, makes me sick! Laughing I don't think we need anything else from this band.

In their defence, the 1984 band was a great r&b plus band. An outstanding Lucille. Brilliant Brown Moses. Outrageous Evil Prince. A fantastic version of the Black Page. You couldn't do it with a different line up. The cheesy keyboard sounds and electronic drums were great for the electro-punkpop r&b of the early 80s. And Ike/Ray/Bobby! Don't get me wrong I like the original MOI too.

Patricia, the loveable dog from The Perfect Stranger (and others!), dancing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2012-12-11 19:48   [Quote] 
franktomatozappa wrote:
bleachboy wrote:
czgibson wrote:
bleachboy wrote:

Umm, what?

In their defence, the 1984 band was a great r&b plus band. An outstanding Lucille. Brilliant Brown Moses. Outrageous Evil Prince. A fantastic version of the Black Page. You couldn't do it with a different line up. The cheesy keyboard sounds and electronic drums were great for the electro-punkpop r&b of the early 80s. And Ike/Ray/Bobby! Don't get me wrong I like the original MOI too.

Patricia, the loveable dog from The Perfect Stranger (and others!), dancing
Oh don't get me wrong, I like this band too, I discovered Zappa thanks to Does Humor. But as opposed to most of his other touring bands (exept the fall 77 band), we do have a lot a material, if not too much.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
velvetgrass
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-12-12 00:45   [Quote] 
Only further release I wouldn't mind from the 1984 tour would be a version of The Evil Prince sung by Napoleon from the beginning of the tour (if such recording exists in vault)

Would love to hear further material from Hammersmith Odeon 1979 and Halloween 1977 though.

BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-12-12 23:52   [Quote] 
Just picked up my copy -

1. Intro 1:20 from 6/6/69
2. Sleazette 3:33 from 6/6/69
3. Mozart Piano Sonata In Bb 6:21 from 6/6/69
4. The Walking Zombie Music 3:23 from 6/6/69
5. The Old Curiosity Shoppe 7:07 from Chicago 5/21/71
6. You Never Know Who Your Friends Are 2:20 studio cut
7. Uncle Rhebus 17:45 7/7 or8/69 (the Ark)

1. Music From The Big Squeeze 0:42 studio
2. Enigmas 1 Thru 5 8:15 Sept 68 just FZ and A Tripp
3. Pumped And Waxed 4:19 FZ basement 72
4. There Is No Heaven From Where Slogans Go To Die 4:37 68/69 10 piece band with guest Dave Samuels on vibes
5. Squeeze It, Squeeze It, Squeeze It 3:17 Ct 2/16/69
6. The Subcutaneous Peril 19:41 Carnige Hall 10/11/71

in liner notes - assembled while in wheelchar along with
JABFLA, Grand Wazoo, Waka Jawaka and "Density of the Fourth Patina (if you're counting) is/was Hunchentoot. Who knew? And these Finer Moments.

Both Hunchentoot and Finer Moments in bold.

Transfers by Joe Travers at UMRK 28 March 2007.

I have questions -

Could Hunchentoot also finally be coming out?

If this was waiting on the back burner since 2007 - what else is on the stove?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BobM
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-12-12 23:58   [Quote] 
The Subcutaneous Peril 19:41 Carnige Hall 10/11/71

72 Stereo tweakage by FZ with Kerry McNabb, Paramount, LA
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 8 of 26 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: