Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Road Tapes
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next  
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2012-11-12 15:21   [Quote] 
SeanGaffney wrote:
By the way, am I alone in thinking that the track title of Disc 2, No. 2 should be 'Shortly: Suite EXCERPTS of Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown'?

Typical obtuse Gail wordplay.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-11-12 20:57   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
SeanGaffney wrote:
By the way, am I alone in thinking that the track title of Disc 2, No. 2 should be 'Shortly: Suite EXCERPTS of Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown'?

Typical obtuse Gail wordplay.

And what it means is "Shortly: Suite consists of Holiday In Berlin, Full Blown". She made the same substitution in the MOFO booklet:
Quote:
Disc 1 exists of Original 1966 Vinyl Stereo Mix of Freak Out!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mightyslimster
usa.gif
Post 2012-11-12 21:21   [Quote] 
There are some outstanding moments on this to be sure. Mastering job could have been better. Bass is way too loud at the beginning which could have been smoothed out in the mastering process. Fortunately the sound does get better. Wasn't crazy about a mono release. Were there other live releases that were mono? The fact that whatever Frank is saying at the beginning cuts in to make you wonder what he was saying bugged me greatly as did the too in your face sound at the beginning. He should have started the tape right after the second half of what Frank says that is cut. I also question the point of putting a severely cut Trouble Every Day. He should have left it off and said, "Due to a severely cut version of Trouble we have decided to leave it off as to not jolt your listening experience." That being said there is some great stuff on this The HIB, Octandre, King Kong, plenty of nice Frank solos/jams. I think some of the same vintage that appeared on the YCTOSA's were pretty sonically. At least there was nothing harsh sounding in this recording as opposed to most of the Grateful Dead's Road Trips. And the officially released version of "In the Sky" is a nice treat.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
jaypfunk
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2012-11-12 22:25   [Quote] 
mightyslimster wrote:
There are some outstanding moments on this to be sure. Mastering job could have been better. Bass is way too loud at the beginning which could have been smoothed out in the mastering process. Fortunately the sound does get better. Wasn't crazy about a mono release. Were there other live releases that were mono? The fact that whatever Frank is saying at the beginning cuts in to make you wonder what he was saying bugged me greatly as did the too in your face sound at the beginning. He should have started the tape right after the second half of what Frank says that is cut. I also question the point of putting a severely cut Trouble Every Day. He should have left it off and said, "Due to a severely cut version of Trouble we have decided to leave it off as to not jolt your listening experience." That being said there is some great stuff on this The HIB, Octandre, King Kong, plenty of nice Frank solos/jams. I think some of the same vintage that appeared on the YCTOSA's were pretty sonically. At least there was nothing harsh sounding in this recording as opposed to most of the Grateful Dead's Road Trips. And the officially released version of "In the Sky" is a nice treat.

leaving it off would have been dumb. even if its incomplete it's still better to have it than not have it at all.

manxzx
Busy Poster
Post 2012-11-12 22:43   [Quote] 
Quote:
even if its incomplete it's still better to have it than not have it at all.

Right on, man!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mightyslimster
usa.gif
Post 2012-11-12 23:17   [Quote] 
manxzx wrote:
Quote:

Right on, man!

I would rather not have it them have it incomplete. I guess its a matter of taste. Maybe if it was noted in that it was partial it would have absorbed the shock. However if that's the standard then I'm sure all the old reels that Zappa cut stuff out of should be released. I disagree. Matter of opinion. To me its like putting a small turd on top of an otherwise very nice birthday cake.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Pepe Nusbaum
Power Poster
EU.gif
Post 2012-11-12 23:21   [Quote] 
mightyslimster wrote:
manxzx wrote:
Quote:

Right on, man!

I would rather not have it them have it incomplete. I guess its a matter of taste. Maybe if it was noted in that it was partial it would have absorbed the shock. However if that's the standard then I'm sure all the old reels that Zappa cut stuff out of should be released. I disagree. Matter of opinion. To me its like putting a small turd on top of an otherwise very nice birthday cake.

A little flexibility is required with something this old and rare..I think.

If you just been lowered down here on tv by a wire connected to a brown leather harness, forced by a crazy person to insert a mysterious imported lamp into the reproductive orifice of a lady harpist, and you were a dwarf.....would you do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVafHLqjRmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEr7ym4-r5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pdx7M5ufDfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ip7U-aAMTc
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Mondolunch
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-11-12 23:24   [Quote] 
mightyslimster wrote:
manxzx wrote:
Quote:

Right on, man!

Some peeps think FZ's music is total turdsville. I say bring on the turds. I have a foward button. I know I have been accused of liking the turds in FZ's works (love Thing Fish, love Man from Utopia, love SATLTSADW, love FZMMOP... and the KING of turds -according to aghast listeners WEASLES RIPPED MY FLESH.)

Bring it. I would rather hate it than not have heard it.

Mondo

DoctorNerve
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2012-11-12 23:28   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
mightyslimster wrote:

leaving it off would have been dumb. even if its incomplete it's still better to have it than not have it at all.

and if anyone here enjoys the DGMLive releases - you'll be used to tape cuts and harsh endings. No big deal... its a total cock tease in some cases but I would rather have all that's there.

boguspomp
Busy Poster
italy.gif
Post 2012-11-12 23:35   [Quote] 
mightyslimster wrote:

I was wondering when your whining would start again...Aren't you the guy with over 200 posts about the Odeon 78' release ?

To leave something off would be totally imbecile..This series is called "Road Tapes" with cuts and everything. I guess some people will never ever be satisfied...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
franktomatozappa
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2012-11-13 00:12   [Quote] 
jaypfunk wrote:
mightyslimster wrote:

Agree. Patricia, the loveable dog from The Perfect Stranger (and others!), dancing
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Vaultmeister
Post 2012-11-13 00:20   [Quote] 
boguspomp wrote:
To leave something off would be totally imbecile..This series is called "Road Tapes" with cuts and everything. I guess some people will never ever be satisfied...

Well, let me tell ya, this one was not easy to prepare. First of all, I feel it safe to say that nobody affiliated with FZ made this recording. My GUESS is that somebody working at the venue ran this off for Frank. The original tape was full of a million inconsistent level jumps. It was a real bitch to get all of the program leveled out to a relatively equal listening level. Also, there were pitch problems. The reel starts at one pitch & progresses to another as it continues on. Lots of corrections. During the sections where the level was recorded too low there was a bunch of tape hiss, so during certain sections John Polito applied noise reduction....(Sonic Solutions NoNoise). Reel changes seem to always happen at the worst times, but we figured we rather include "Trouble Every Day" instead of not! It is what it is, the door slam was Gail's idea. Trying to combine the two edit spots was a challenge. Overall, I really think sonically John Polito & I made this a totally listenable object, as the raw tape is definitely NOT!
Unfortunate that our credits were an oversight in the package. But for those who care, it was another GZ & JT production, mastering & audio restoration by John Polito, Audio Mechanics.
Enjoy & here's to more Road Tapes Venues!
Joe
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2012-11-13 00:25   [Quote] 
Idiot wrote:
Anyone know what's with the door slam around 1.02 into Trouble Everyday?!

The Vaultmeister has also helpfully pointed out to this Idiot that similar door-slamming moments occur on MOFO and Joe's XMASage Embarassed

Thanks, Joe!

Last edited by Idiot on 2012-11-13 00:38; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
bleachboy
Power Poster
france.gif
Post 2012-11-13 00:31   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:

Enjoy & here's to more Road Tapes Venues!
Joe
AMEN cheers

He could be a dog or a frog or a lesbian queen
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2012-11-13 00:42   [Quote] 
Thank you, Joe for the explanations, these details would be nice to include them into the booklet series of Road Tapes. Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 20 of 38 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Albums All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: