Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1966 12 21 NY - "In The Beginning" Interview 95min (globual)
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows
MysteryBurger
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2009-02-21 22:54   [Quote] 
great interview

zappa is on a mike bloomfield record?

drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-02-21 23:57   [Quote] 
MysteryBurger wrote:
zappa is on a mike bloomfield record?

Actually, it's a Barry Goldberg record, but Bloomfield is on it too.

See <http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/related/Barry_Goldberg.html>.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
drdork
Contributor
canada.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-02-22 00:00   [Quote] 
tungarbulb wrote:
Why this never got circulated or transcribed and published back in the day I'll never know.

Excerpts were published in several issues of Hit Parader.

See <http://www.afka.net/Mags/HP.htm>.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Paolo
Busy Poster
italy.gif
Post 2009-09-27 21:01   [Quote] 
Thanks for sharing, and also a special thanks to The Enema bandit for jumping on a few items (including this one) that I was looking for these days. cheers

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-16 06:25   [Quote] 
I believe the actual date of this interview is 1966-12-22. FZ says on the second track:

Quote:
Have you heard any music of Varèse? Well, let's see. He lived and died in New York. I heard he's died last February. His birthday is today, as a matter of fact - December 22nd.

Varèse actually died on November 1965, but FZ probably only heard about it 3 months later. He could not be mistaken about the date of the interview though, since his own birthday was the day before that!

Last edited by yetanother on 2010-02-16 06:44; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-16 06:39   [Quote] 
Quote:
I believe the actual date of this interview is 1965-12-22. FZ says on the second track:

1965!?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-16 06:45   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
Quote:
I believe the actual date of this interview is 1965-12-22. FZ says on the second track:

1965!?

Sorry, I obviously meant 1966, as implied by the text which follows. I'll edit that. The issue here is with the day, anyway.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-21 21:11   [Quote] 
nitramziarreh wrote:
I believe the actual date of this interview is 1966-12-22. FZ says on the second track:

Quote:
Have you heard any music of Varèse? Well, let's see. He lived and died in New York. I heard he's died last February. His birthday is today, as a matter of fact - December 22nd.

Varèse actually died on November 1965, but FZ probably only heard about it 3 months later. He could not be mistaken about the date of the interview though, since his own birthday was the day before that!

So, am I the only one who thinks the date is wrong here? hmm
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
punknaynowned
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-22 20:11   [Quote] 
You're right,it is the 22nd.
This is such an important interview in so many ways.
As drdork points out it was used as the basis for the pair of articles that came out over the next 5 years or so by hit parader magazine. This may not impress us but was widely used in the industry then to scout talent, and trends by the industry moguls who looked at such things then when all that '60's cultural ferment was going on. At a time when there was so little journalistic evidence about the nascent r-n-r culture, this interview had a big influence, which is obvious on hearing it, but doesn't seem to get much credit out in the world at large, roflol
The material also seems to be used in the LIFE magazine article that even more people saw then though I can't prove it.
One of the Hit Parader articles was even used by the zft on zappa.com as indicative of positive press. It's still there.
I liked it so much, I went ahead and made a faithful transcription of it for the wiki jawaka. I say 'faithful' because it has all the umm's and ahh's even of the original in an attempt to capture the flow of fz's speech and how much he was really pulling one over on Mr Paulsen again and again. To his credit, while FZ talks over his head somewhat, it seems Mr Paulsen liked letting frank go on and on. So an early indication of Frank learning how well he could use his words in influencing people.

'In The Beginning' is an apt title. Now if only more could be made aware of it.

edit: I take back what I said. I hadn't been over to the wiki in awhile and this Don Paulsen 'interview' is among the first half-dozen interviews listed when 'interviews' is put in their search box. Maybe previously just an organizational thing.
I'm not convinced that dropping conventional dictation rules, like omitting the umm's and ahh's and wellllllll's will suit everyone's taste. It doesn't 'read' as well as what people may be used to, but it more accurately conveys the flavor, flow and corners of things that come out in human speech, rather than what looks provide on a printed page. Makes me want to do more of it. Hey! Maybe that's my calling!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-02-26 04:26   [Quote] 
punknaynowned wrote:
You're right,it is the 22nd.

So, shouldn't the topic title be changed? I wonder if anybody else is listening.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
tranehead
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-28 23:42   [Quote] 
thanks so much for keeping this going. i missed it first time 'round.

also, his involvement in the film 'You Are What You Eat' is mentiooned??
thats where that great Shrine 66 footage is from...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chashendrick
usa.gif
Post 2011-07-25 19:09   [Quote] 
Thank you, this is so great!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
bubba
Post 2012-04-24 01:25   [Quote] 
Any chance of another seeder or two folks?
I'm at 98.61%!!
Thanks all.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Mower B. Yard
Post 2012-04-25 05:21   [Quote] 
Essential CC content here! Thank you very much.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Interviews/Radio Shows All times are GMT

Jump to: