Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
(itunes download): Auditorium Theater, Chicago, May 11, 1974, [FZ master] release:
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
syncopatico
Post 2011-12-26 17:43   [Quote] 
Galeans wrote:
syncopatico wrote:
"I wish Zappa had left his guitar solo intact and cut some of the boring story instead, but oh well..."

Uh... but the "boring story" is the reason the EP has been released Wink

I found it fascinating

cheers

You're right about that! The stereo FZ master mixdown reel probably wouldn't exist today if not for the "boring story".

I'm thankful to hear two amazingly vital bluesy guitar solos that "bookend" it--even one with a noticeable cut can't dampen my enjoyment when i hear FZ rip into such minor-key boogie mastery as he did so well during this era!! cooler
 [Profile]  [PM] 
syncopatico
Post 2011-12-26 17:54   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
syncopatico wrote:

Very Bad Shame how 1973 is the most-under-represented live year for posthumous releases, followed strongly by 1974.

Unless I'm forgetting something there has also been no live material officially released posthumously from 1967, 68, 69, 70 or 82. And only a few tracks here and there from 79, 81, 84 and 88.

I think they will be getting to 73 sooner or later as I mentioned above.

Correct. BUT:

The 'early years' the sound quality is probably too dodgy & primitive; nothing from 70, but Carnegie Hall '71 was just released obviously which is still Flo & Eddie as the main focus. The early-to-mid-eighties were well covered previously to death by the YCDTOSA entire series. And '88 of course with its official live releases.

1973 might be difficult because the material is quite lengthy and involves long segue-ways as you know: i would hope for a download that would not be limited by the time constraints of cd timings in such cases..(if not there would have to be fades involved). Will be interesting hopefully if there is something *full-length* to be released from '73 eventually.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
syncopatico
Post 2011-12-26 18:17   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:

The credits for this release include "Original tape transfer to WAV through Euphonix converters to Nuendo at 96K 24B via ATR 4-Tk plus edit in gtr solo at reel change & the fade over and out by Vaultmeister" (emphasis added). So I guess that was the reason, unless this refers to another edit later in the solo.

Appears as if i should have originally written (in my initial post): "Jeez, the edit that Joe Travers did to the guitar solo in Penguin In Bondage sure is noticeable." Embarassed
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2011-12-26 18:35   [Quote] 
syncopatico wrote:

Correct. BUT:

The 'early years' the sound quality is probably too dodgy & primitive; nothing from 70, but Carnegie Hall '71 was just released obviously which is still Flo & Eddie as the main focus. The early-to-mid-eighties were well covered previously to death by the YCDTOSA entire series. And '88 of course with its official live releases.

Joe has mentioned a couple of possible releases from the 60's, a Whiskey A Go Go recording from 68, and a Hot Rats era club gig with studio player Ed Greene on drums. There is probably also good material left from the 69 tour recorded by Dick Kunc. I agree releases from the more recent years might be redundant, but I have seen people mention wanting them.

But my guess is that 73 is near the top of the list.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2011-12-26 18:48   [Quote] 
syncopatico wrote:
The 'early years' the sound quality is probably too dodgy & primitive

Probably, but this is what I hope to hear the most. After all Joe's Domage didn't sound much better than what you described, does it? (Incidentally I love that release)

pbuzby wrote:
Joe has mentioned a couple of possible releases from the 60's, a Whiskey A Go Go recording from 68, and a Hot Rats era club gig with studio player Ed Greene on drums. There is probably also good material left from the 69 tour recorded by Dick Kunc.

This is the era that fascinates me the most. I hope they will release some more studio outtakes. I know they do exist (think of the Chamber music pieces included on The Weasel Music acetate, for example)

cheers

Vaultmeister
Post 2011-12-27 09:48   [Quote] 
syncopatico wrote:

Appears as if i should have originally written (in my initial post): "Jeez, the edit that Joe Travers did to the guitar solo in Penguin In Bondage sure is noticeable." Embarassed

All edits during the guitar solo in penguin were made by FZ, the edit I had to make was in the solo after the story of the MOI.
Thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
lordevilvenom
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2011-12-27 10:14   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
syncopatico wrote:

All edits during the guitar solo in penguin were made by FZ, the edit I had to make was in the solo after the story of the MOI.
Thanks

The Vaultmeister graces us! Hello Joe! Took your photo right before the Q+A in Baltimore. (You were being hassled by security)

Sorry for the of-topicness of this but: Will we hear the contents of that tape with the words "Van Vliet Interview" crossed out? Or was that taped over or something?

Beefheart torrent catalogue here: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=90

Collector of Beefheart? Check out: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=79
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
syncopatico
Post 2011-12-27 13:54   [Quote] 
Vaultmeister wrote:
syncopatico wrote:

Thanks

Appears as if i should have originally written: "I wish Zappa would have left his guitar solo intact, and cut some of the boring story instead" Embarassed, but at least Joe Travers did a great job covering the reel edit seamlessly!" headbanger

(thanks for both{!} solos Joe!)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
thatclamguy
canada.gif
Post 2011-12-28 01:01   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:

Joe has mentioned a couple of possible releases from the 60's, a Whiskey A Go Go recording from 68, and a Hot Rats era club gig with studio player Ed Greene on drums. There is probably also good material left from the 69 tour recorded by Dick Kunc. I agree releases from the more recent years might be redundant, but I have seen people mention wanting them.

Woah, the Hot Rats era one sounds cool, since the Olympic show is probably my favorite concert tape. I'd buy a release of something from that era.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [AIM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: