Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1974 11 09 (L) Boston MA AUD Yojimbo vs. BobM-DrZap SAMPLES  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills -> Archived Sample Threads
DL-List
Complete: [ 8 ]
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-22 01:00   [Quote] 
1974 11 09 (L)
Boston, MA
~65 min, Aud, B~

Now for the Boston '74 late show audience comparison. In my opinion, this is a much easier decision than the early show. Both Yojimbo's and BobM-DrZap versions are from the same master source, but the BM-DZ source is the clear winner. Less muffled and better sound all the way around. It still isn't the best sounding '74 audience around, but a clear upgrade to what we have. Of course, all opinions are welcome. The BM-DZ does run fast though.

In addition, from the Rob Samler collection, Dr. Z has transferred an alternate audience source. Smile It is a little distorted in places, but overall sounds pretty damn good. Sadly it is only 45 mins. However, the upside is that it spans a section of the show where the other audience source is missing. Better yet, it includes a previously unknown "Idiot Bastard Son" not found in either the other tape or the SBD, plus the full performance of "Cosmik Debris"! Cool I've included "IBS" and the beginning of "Cosmik" here. This source runs from "IBS" and cuts off in "Dupree's Paradise".

Please take special note during the opening verses of "Cosmik" please. There almost sounds like a source change from 0:23-0:30 which of course would be impossible since no other known source has this section. An audio anomaly? A patch from another show? You decide.

Lineage (Yojimbo source):

Yojimbo ??gen Maxell XLII > Denon DRM-800A -> M-Audio Audiophile 2496 -> Soundforge -> wav -> FLAC Frontend
then:
> My Pc > wave > CoolEdit retracking, level & phase adjustments & speed corrected > flac frontend level 8

Seeded on tracker here: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15988

Lineage (BobM-doctorzap source):

Lineage: Maxell XLII 2nd GEN > Nakamichi DR-1 > Realtek HDAudio pentium i7 > Soundforge 10 Pro Highest quality setting Izotope 64 bit src downsampling / MBIT+dither> TLH

Seeded in the shoebox here: http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=21989

Track list:
01 Tush Tush Tush (SAMPLED)
02 Tuning
03 Stinkfoot
04 Inca Roads
05 Tuning
06 Florentine Pogen
07 Tuning

08 Pygmy Twylyte (end missing) (some seed fluctuations at end) (SAMPLED)
09 Cosmik Debris (missing) (alt source SAMPLED)
10 Tuning (missing)
11 Montana (missing)
12 The Booger Man (missing)
13 Preamble (missing)
14 Ol' 55* (missing)
15 Dupree's Paradise (missing)

16 Marty's Dance Song (begining missing) SAMPLED
17 Crowd Noise-Preamble
18 Oh No
19 Son Of Orange County

20 Trouble Every Day (SAMPLED)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-22 03:21   [Quote] 
Fantastic! I'll look at it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2011-12-22 13:54   [Quote] 
Wow! Idiot Bastard Son is very rare for the Fall tour. Is this the only US performance?

Are we sure this is really a different AUD source? Surely it's the missing section of the existing AUD. Otherwise it's too bizarre a coincidence that it exactly fills the missing gap in the old AUD source.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2011-12-22 14:46   [Quote] 
1974 12 31
The Idiot Bastard Son (with Nixon lyrics)
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-24 00:19   [Quote] 
Quote:
Are we sure this is really a different AUD source? Surely it's the missing section of the existing AUD. Otherwise it's too bizarre a coincidence that it exactly fills the missing gap in the old AUD source.

Well, it doesn't exactly fit the missing section. The other version ends during Pygmy and returns in Marty's Dance Song. This 45 min source cuts in during Idiot Bastard Son and cuts out during Dupree's Paradise.

Quote:
Are we sure this is really a different AUD source?

I suppose anything is possible but the sound seems quite different. Since there is no overlap it isn't easy to compare. Perhaps Rob can shed some light on the origins of this tape.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doublebassy
uk.gif
Post 2011-12-24 09:18   [Quote] 
That is an exact fit because IBS is the song after Pygmy Twylyte and Dupree's Paradise is the song before Marty's Dance Song.

What are the chances of two separate AUD sources covering every song in the show between them but not overlapping?

Probably someone has not traded the middle portion of the AUD at some point because they thought it was made redundant by the Barber tape.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2011-12-24 15:57   [Quote] 
I recommend listening to the recordings before drawing conclusions.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-24 17:07   [Quote] 
Quote:
Probably someone has not traded the middle portion of the AUD at some point because they thought it was made redundant by the Barber tape.

Yeah that is possible, or also that it was lost by taper, yet he traded a few out before the loss. This actually happens a lot, and can explain the difference in sound.
Currently I have a master clone audience of 12-11-81 Early. The taper has lost the 2nd tape. I do have on disc a NR'ed or EQ'ed version of the last part. It is not going to sound the same! I have been holding it hoping the taper finds the missing section, so far..no luck. Looks like it is gone for good. We do also have a board of this one. And I would say we also have other partial audience tapes when it comes to boards, often hard to find a complete audience tape. Not a unique situation here. So yeah you do have a valid point.

Quote:
What are the chances of two separate AUD sources covering every song in the show between them but not overlapping?

I suppose it could happen, anything is possible. Is it likely? No.

OK, back to the subject at hand. i would say overall the Robsam tapes are better, a clear winner here anyway. The early show I might offer both dub lines. But again as I have said elsewhere. My ears are way to old for this! Sitting at my computer looking around the room, the oldest thing in this room is me! Smile
 [Profile]  [PM] 
frank2441
Power Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2011-12-24 18:18   [Quote] 
[quote="Drew51"]
Quote:

OK, back to the subject at hand. i would say overall the Robsam tapes are better, a clear winner here anyway. The early show I might offer both dub lines. But again as I have said elsewhere. My ears are way to old for this! Sitting at my computer looking around the room, the oldest thing in this room is me! Smile

Bet you've got the best ears in the room though tunes
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Overnitefreak
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-24 20:45   [Quote] 
Quote:
That is an exact fit because IBS is the song after Pygmy Twylyte and Dupree's Paradise is the song before Marty's Dance Song.

Have you listened to the samples? Do the two copies sound to you like the same audience vantage point? I don't disagree with what you're saying by the way. But, again they don't align perfectly. If your theory is true about a taper leaving this section out which I have seen happen, then we are still missing sections of this tape.

Good news is we have more than before. Listen and see if you think it is the same source. Again, hopefully Rob Samler can give us some clues since this 45 min tape came from his collection.

Quote:
i would say overall the Robsam tapes are better, a clear winner here anyway.

The primary source for the early and late drzap transfers come from Bob M, not Rob. But I agree they should be used.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2011-12-24 21:33   [Quote] 
The BobM version gets my vote.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Samples & Fills -> Archived Sample Threads All times are GMT

Jump to: