Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
the zappa album that got you???
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-11-15 11:18   [Quote] 
marcus cornall wrote:
wouldn't be physics if you enjoyed it would it?!

I always enjoyed physics. That is, until my last term, when we got to electricity.

Electricity is still a complete mystery to me - which is kind of ironic if you consider it's the subject that's most inherently present in our everyday lives.

I loved acoustics right from the beginning, though...

hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2010-11-16 07:35   [Quote] 
Freddie Valentine wrote:
I was a staunch lover of vinyl and when CD arrived, I intended to stay true to the traditional format. That was until FO, HR, CWRATJ and UM came out on CD, along with DHBIM and I succumbed! Freak Out was, in fact, the first ever CD I owned (and still have!). After that I bought every release that came out during the 80's and 90's, but it was those tapes that hooked me.

That original EMI Does humor belong in music? cd was one of the First cds i heard, and it sounded fabulous to me...in fact i still prefer it to the Ryko edition.

nitramziarreh wrote:
marcus cornall wrote:
wouldn't be physics if you enjoyed it would it?!

I always enjoyed physics. That is, until my last term, when we got to electricity.

Electricity is still a complete mystery to me - which is kind of ironic if you consider it's the subject that's most inherently present in our everyday lives.

I loved acoustics right from the beginning, though...

Yes, that's true marcus! Very Happy
Although i think Brazilian physics must be different from Scottish physics because all i remember is mental torture followed by detention Laughing

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
justherb
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-15 02:44   [Quote] 
My Dad bought my Mom a copy of SATLTSADW because she hated 'Valley Girl.' I rescued the LP and ran down to the basement with it, I was 11 at the time. I didn't 'get it,' but it made me curious. It wasn't until much later in college when I got into the 88 band live stuff that I really started to love his work.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
scompton
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-15 03:10   [Quote] 
The song Apostrophe got me interested and at someone's suggestion, I bought either Grand Wazoo or Waka/Jawaka and that hooked me. The first I bought when It came out was Joe's Garage.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-15 03:35   [Quote] 
How the album that "re-got" you?

I became tired with listening to so much FZ seven or eight years ago (tired with a lot of what I had been listening to). One day I put on Orchestral Favorites and Chunga's Revenge out of (you guessed it!) boredom -- and was back on an FZ bender that lasted the better part of two years.

Thank you, Duke of Prunes. thumbsup
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Water_Blackturner
germany.gif
Post 2010-12-20 12:04   [Quote] 
I don't really need any album to "re-get" me but everytime I'm not in the mood to listen to (or at least think of myself that I'm not in the mood) I cram out that ol' Kreega Bondola Bootleg.
The quality of this thingy is even better than some of the official releases and the setlist satisfies nearly every genre....I like Kreega Bondola...the main idea of that reply Very Happy
 [Profile]  [PM] 
riceinfs
sweden.gif
Post 2011-01-03 00:44   [Quote] 
Hm, the album that got me, that's a kind of hard question actually... My father has been listening to Frank's music since almost 40 years back so as a kid I got exposed to some of his compositions and I think the first I heard was Yellow Shark. As I was only maybe ten years old, I couldn't really appreciate it as I wasn't into classical music at all.

A few years later my dad asked me to search the internet for Sheik Yerbouti which I somewhat liked or at least found interesting. Later we listened to Joe's Garage but I don't think I really began to appreciate Frank's music until I, by my self, found Hot Rats and got stuck on Peaches en Regalia. And, still Hot Rats is one of my (many) favourites, especially The Gumbo Variations.

RodJenson
usa.gif
Post 2011-01-04 09:15   [Quote] 
When I was I believe fifteen, so five or six years ago, a friend of mine burned me this data disc of some groups he thought I would like. It was full of some wretched poppy screamo that I was all too ready to eat up at the time, but for whatever mysterious reason, he had a copy of Uncle Meat from his parents' vast record collection that he'd transfered into his computer because he thought it was absolutely hilarious that anybody would make a piece of music that was as fucked up as the Main Title Theme. On first listen, I couldn't get past that first track. "What is this? I can't predict what notes are coming next! I can't bop my head to it!! I can't sing along to it!!!" I hadn't even heard much instrumental music by that point. I thought that music was supposed to have lyrics, and that was the end of it.

For some reason, I kept it on my computer, and a few months later I listened to it, and something about that first track again, this time struck me. Probably more the idea of something so ridiculous being funny to me at the time. So I made it a point to do a bunch of research on the man, got Freak Out! and Joe's Garage, which somebody told me were his best albums, and Joe's Garage was the one that did it for me. Never had something like that come across my path in any form whatsoever, and I was entranced by the Watermelon In Easter Hay Solo. From then it all just escalated.

Ironically, the original friend who showed me Uncle Meat became increasingly annoyed by my growing interest in Zappa over the years, and refused to listen to anything by him. Somewhere along the line I started getting him into the more "rock" sounding stuff, and now we've come full circle and he can listen to most of the stuff from before 1980 without complaining.

starbuck
Post 2011-01-10 15:50   [Quote] 
there were 2 actually, I bought Apostrophe (') and Absolutely free at the same time and was hooked ever since!! I guess it was in 1992 or 1993. Always regretted not getting into his music earlier...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
agamon
sweden.gif
Post 2011-01-10 17:50   [Quote] 
Over-nite sensation in 1975.
Then Uncle Meat and Helsinki "re-got" me in the late 80īs.
And Zappateers re-got me in 2009 !
 [Profile]  [PM] 
MPierry
usa.gif
Post 2011-01-10 19:07   [Quote] 
Sometime in the summer of 1991, still a few months shy of turning 12, I was bored of listening to my "Weird Al" tapes and started raiding my parents' CD collection. After I got through The Beatles (White Album), Billy Joel's Greatest Hits and Paul Simon's Graceland and Rhythm of the Saints, I decided to steal the two Zappa CDs: Broadway the Hard Way and Jazz From Hell.

I listened to Broadway first and I remember thinking for the first couple of songs, "This guy is sorta like Weird Al but the music is WAY better." A lot of the political references were over my head but it was the attitude of it that really resonated with me. By the time that CD ended I was completely ensnared. Then I put on Jazz From Hell and had my mind blown all over again. I loved both CDs so much, there was no way I was ever going to give them back.

By the way, I had to do a little research to figure out what year this happened. In doing so, I saw that YCDTOSA Vol. 6 is listed as released in July 1992 by every reputable Zappa website, including the Zappa Patio and IINK. In fact, Volume 6 was originally available only as part of the "Stage Box" - an expensive, useless, rather unattractive case that I had absolutely NO interest in saving up my meager allowance for. So I had to wait and wait... an interminable 3 months (remember how long that seemed when you were 12) until October 26, when Volume 6 FINALLY became available separately. Point is, I had to look that up in Greg Russo's book to find the date. Inexcusable! I thought the affz-heritage websites were better than that.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Foxbat
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2011-01-13 05:35   [Quote] 
I got BWS, RATJ and WOITFTM as cutouts in a variety store when I was in high school.

Never was the same
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Hasi
Power Poster
austria.gif
Post 2011-01-13 14:43   [Quote] 
MPierry wrote:
Inexcusable! I thought the affz-heritage websites were better than that.

You should have looked at a competent place:

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=15353

Wink

www.theimpossiblefestival.com
 [Profile]  [PM] 
DoctorNerve
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2011-01-13 15:59   [Quote] 
I guess Freak Out! would be it. Who Are The Brain Police? was probably the song that smacked me in the head. So meaty and heavy. So far out. Damn that is still one of my all time favorite songs ever.

scoobie
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2011-01-14 02:26   [Quote] 
the stillborn Crush All Boxes is what's been getting me lately. Something about those versions that makes them sound so gritty. I tried giving YAWYI for a spin and turned it off.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 9 of 10 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT

Jump to: