Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Nicolas Slonimsky Speaks about Frank Zappa May 3rd, 1983 (Drew)
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
DL-List
Complete: [ 69 ]

Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-11-24 15:35   [Quote] 
OK, this is more practice than anything else. i have a number of items I would like to upload. Still will be a bit before I get to them. One step at a time...Let's learn to upload! Any suggestions on smooth uploading, let me know please.

Nicolas Slonimsky Speaks about Frank Zappa May 3rd, 1983

In these recorded comments by Slonimsky, his musical world (classical/avant garde) and that
of Frank Zappa (popular/avant garde) came together primarily due to the publication of a
book by Slonimsky on scales and harmonies that attracted Zappa’s attention. Slonimsky
recounts his acceptance of an invitation by Zappa to play with his Rock Band. He also
recounts how amazed he was when he observed Zappa’s scores for classical music which looked
“far out” like something Edgar Varese would write, a composer who was admired by both
Slonimsky and Zappa.

Recorded at Slonimsky's home in Los Angeles by Charles Amirkhanian.

Author: Nicolas Slonimsky
Date: May 3rd, 1983
Source: Other Minds
Recorded by: Charles Amirkhanian
Creative Commons license: Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial
lineage:other minds server>WAV>FLAC

* Wav resampled One Channel Mono>Two Channel

I checked out what was meant by Creative commons license, and it means you must state where it is from, don't alter content, and do not sell. So it's fine.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2005-11-24 15:44   [Quote] 
This one's both funny & interesting actually Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-11-24 16:02   [Quote] 
The Archive, Other Minds, and all related databases are extremely interesting. My wife described the site as things nobody wants. I told her well Other Minds does sell some of it's items. She returned with "Some?" "Proves my point, they can't sell it, so they give it away".
I grabbed a few recordings of Slonimsky, and a Varese Documentary. Not sure of what interest these are to our members?

Here's the descriptions, you can grab them at the archive yourself, do search of entire site, else search engine will only look in audio database, not the other minds database. All needed to be changed to burn. Most were in one channel mono, one in 32khz stereo, all. I suppose copies exist from fm that are better, but these are mostly interviews Though Slonimsky does play.
You also need to grab them via ftp, pretty sure the only way to get WAV versions instead of MP3, but quality or source is unknown to me.

Nicolas Slonimsky at 76 February 27th, 1971

A lively and engaging interview with the dean of musicological lexicography who visited KPFA
studios and talked with Robert Commandy (S.F. Chronicle music critic) and Charles
Amirkhanian of KPFA. Especially important discussions about Igor Stravinsky and Charles Ives
by the first conductor ever to champion Ives, Varese, Cowell, and Riegger (in the early 30's).
Recorded February 27, 1971, and including piano performances by Slonimsky.

Nicolas Slonimsky, Speaking Of Music at the Exploratorium in 1987 March 12th, 1987

Nicolas Slonimsky interviewed by Charles Amirkhanian at the Exploratorium's Speaking of Music
Series in San Francisco, March 12, 1987.

Edgar Varese' Sonic Liberation (documentary) February 21st, 1982

From Ground Control Studios in Philadelphia comes this thorough and searching documentary
about one of America's pioneer radical composers, Edgar Varese (1883-1965). Interviews
with Louise Varese, the composer's wife and companion from 1917 until his death in 1965,
Chou Wen-Chung, the composer's friend, student and amenuensis, Ann McMillan, tape and
electronics assistant to Varese, and Frank Zappa, afficionado of the late experimentalist
provide a fascinating backdrop to the narrative of Kimberly Haas, Music Director of WXPN
in Philadelphia. The program was written and produced by John K. Dilberto, music critic
for Downbeat and Audio magazines, and former Program Director of KALX in Berkeley.

All are public domain!!!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
walk
Site Admin
germany.gif
Post 2005-11-24 16:06   [Quote] 
i would say successfull seed premiere here, congrats and thx Drew !
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-11-24 16:10   [Quote] 
bengofury wrote:
This one's both funny & interesting actually Wink

Well, the torrent was practice. The content will always be interesting.
Slonimsky is quite a character. The interviews I heard so far are good.
My apologies for the short item, this fits well with The Speaking of music show. I added it first, room on disc one of two.
Thanks guys! Working on some stuff, soon...I hope!
This place is great, at last a nice place about Zappa.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-11-24 16:34   [Quote] 
What I would really like to see is the Slonimsky Documentary, First hundred Years. A good copy from known generation (yes members have good copies). AFAIK it includes the last footage of Zappa. It is so hard to watch him in such a weakened state. Shocking. First time I seen Frank, really not in control of the environment around him. Frank commands such presence, in a normal setting. Not here. Again, hard to watch, haunting, and should be here (in DVD format).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
haab
Poster
sweden.gif
Post 2005-11-24 21:03   [Quote] 
Many thanks for this fun and fascinating piece. I asked around for the
Slonimsky Documentary a couple of months ago but as far as I recall it
wasn't available. Hopefully it surfaces here soon because if it really has
the last footage of Zappa, all the more reason for it to be a part of
everybody's collection.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
marcomat
Contributor
italy.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-11-25 09:05   [Quote] 
Thank you, drew!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-11-25 17:22   [Quote] 
haab wrote:
Many thanks for this fun and fascinating piece. I asked around for the
Slonimsky Documentary a couple of months ago but as far as I recall it
wasn't available. Hopefully it surfaces here soon because if it really has
the last footage of Zappa, all the more reason for it to be a part of
everybody's collection.

I will make a request for this to a collector I know who has a first or 2nd gen.
We will get it here.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
tactic
Post 2005-11-30 17:16   [Quote] 
wasn't there a great conlon nancarrow docu to be found there to,...with the original pianola's,....BTW 's that you mr Fignar?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2005-12-01 01:48   [Quote] 
Thanks Drew

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2005-12-01 20:37   [Quote] 
Please could someone open their windows on this one - it's only small and there are a couple of us trying to complete.
TIA

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
england.gif
Post 2005-12-01 23:12   [Quote] 
Thanks Walk - I'll hold open for a few days if you want to drop off.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
mathemusician
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2005-12-02 01:45   [Quote] 
I am really looking forward to hearing this. I first found out about Slonimsky when I started looking at "Baker's Biographical Dictionary of Musicians" for a course in music history. Some of the entries were absolutely hilarious, including his own which mentions a paper he wrote entitled "Sex and the Music Librarian." My favorite Slonimsky publication has to be the "Lexicon of Musical Invective", a collection of scathing reviews of musical works. If any of you out there haven't checked his stuff out, I think you might like it.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-12-08 04:39   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Related All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: