Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Mystery figure cropped off the We're Only In It For The Money cover...
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-07-02 19:14   [Quote] 
Clapton did have that hairstyle in 1967 as Joseph C mentions, although he abandoned it soon afterwards. And that book mentions that he jammed with Hendrix during the NYC visit in July 67, so it doesn't seem out of the question that he tagged along to the photo shoot.

However, I suppose we'll never know unless someone gets the chance to ask Clapton, Cal Schenkel or someone else who is still around from that day.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mrmike
Power Poster
Post 2010-07-02 20:15   [Quote] 
I think that whoever it was might have been "cropped off" intentionally, possible due to terms within his record label contract, and anyone that did appear on the list of credits would generally be authorized to be pictured on the album cover. It might be any one of thousand people and it's likely we will never know.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
NO8DO
Contributor
columbia.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-07-02 20:33   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
However, I suppose we'll never know unless someone gets the chance to ask Clapton, Cal Schenkel or someone else who is still around from that day.

I asked Cal:

Cal wrote:
No, not Clapton (if it was, he wouldn't have been cropped out of the cover). My recollection is that it was someone who came to the photo session with Jimi. I'm curious where the photo came from?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2010-07-02 20:52   [Quote] 
The Evil Prince wrote:

I asked Cal:

Cal wrote:
No, not Clapton (if it was, he wouldn't have been cropped out of the cover). My recollection is that it was someone who came to the photo session with Jimi. I'm curious where the photo came from?

I was thinking about emailing him myself, nice one The Evil Prince.. that makes sense, but if it was a hanger-on type then he must've been gutted when he saw the cover Laughing

Try the vines, you'll love it, it's a way of life...

That's the way the cookie crumbled..
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Joseph C
england.gif
Post 2010-07-02 21:19   [Quote] 
Cal wrote:

Great stuff! I was wondering where the photo came from myself actually. I found it at
http://planetazappa.blogspot.com/2010/01/were-only-in-it-for-money-1968.html
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Cal Schenkel
usa.gif
Post 2010-07-02 23:07   [Quote] 
Hi--
Not Clapton (if it was, he wouldn't have been cropped out of the cover). My recollection is that it was someone who came to the photo session with Jimi, maybe a roadie. That's me playing the eggs (and the accordion in the finished cover).

I think I talk about this cover somewhat in an interview with Lewis Saul on my blog: http://maximumskew.blogspot.com/2010/01/interview-with-lewis-saul.html

I don't remember it being a "really shitty" place (if this session is what's being talked about in the quote). I thought it was a fairly nice studio, Shatzberg was a fashion photographer after all ...of course there were piles of dirt and deterioration vegetables all over. I'll try to dreg up some memories and mementos from this one when I get a chance. I'm curious where the photo came from? (some of the out-takes were floating around Ryko when we were working on a special box of this album for the 95 reissues ...hmm).

Cheers! Very Happy
--Calvin
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
hoops
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2010-07-02 23:20   [Quote] 
welcome to zappateers Cal... and thanks for the info!
Very Happy

Try the vines, you'll love it, it's a way of life...

That's the way the cookie crumbled..
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Joseph C
england.gif
Post 2010-07-02 23:28   [Quote] 
Indeed! Quite an honour.

Cal Schenkel wrote:
(some of the out-takes were floating around Ryko when we were working on a special box of this album for the 95 reissues ...hmm).

I haven't seen the Lumpy Money booklet but this blog-pic suggests some of them were used:

Although, curiously, our mystery man doesn't seem to appear in either of the shots used above...
 [Profile]  [PM] 
pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-07-02 23:32   [Quote] 
Looking at that quote again the "shitty" place seems to be Mayfair Studios where Hendrix recorded "The Stars That Play..." although it isn't clear how Hendrix appearing in FZ's photo "came out of that."
 [Profile]  [PM] 
chuckash
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-07-03 09:51   [Quote] 
Calvin, Long time no see ?

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-29 01:04   [Quote] 
The "mystery figure" seems to be Paul Caruso (as suggested at the Steve Hoffman forum by user janschfan).

Photo
 [Profile]  [PM] 
fucknut
usa.gif
Post 2010-12-29 01:24   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
The "mystery figure" seems to be Paul Caruso (as suggested at the Steve Hoffman forum by user janschfan).

Photo

Definitely Caruso. Thanks
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Zappalogy All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: