Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1969 05 23 Appleton WI  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Listening (Sessions, Specials, Extras) -> Archived Reviews Forum
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-11-07 09:11   [Quote] 
Frank Zappa &
The Mothers Of Invention
23-May 1969
Lawrence University Chapel
Appleton, WI

This is an amazing recording! Sound is great. Fun show.
It's rumored that Frank himself was very pleased with this gig.

Oshkosh B'Gosh! The Mothers come to Appleton!
Childhood hometown of Harry Houdini (born in Budapest)!

Memorial Chapel at Lawrence U.
Looks like a great venue. Too bad the stage was a bit too small to dance on (according to FZ)
before the '93 renovation. Still, you can hear the audiences laughter during the opener, so
I'm sure there's some fancy foot work going on (especially, the Sherwood shuffle).

Speaking of shuffling, Lowell George shuffled off to greener pastures after this gig
(folks wonder why Frank didn't utilize George's voice more? Was FZ still pining for a Collins style singer hmm ).

Zappa likes this "exceptionally responsive" audience and gives them a tight and entertaining
performance.

After the "Ballet", here comes "Uncle Meat". A fantastic rendition! And an excellent drum duet included.
Can someone tell why me I love the sound of these garbage can sounding drums so much? Confused

A fairly new song for me is Don (comic book fan) Preston's "Eye of Agamotto".
I just love this song and it's well performed here. Mr. Green

And that's not all! Shocked
You get . . .
The World Premiere of "My Guitar Wants To Kill . . . "!
Quote:
Z_wonders "Give me a 'teen-age' one bar count off."
A special treat for the attentive kids in the audience.

And what could be better than "Clapping & Vomiting" with a thousand Zappa fans
(this tradition continues every year at clap Zappanale puke , but in greater numbers! Laughing )?!

Feeling a little fiesty? ninja
How about some "Kung Fu #1"?
You mean there's more than one? disbelief

Everyday I learn something new at Zappateers and today I discovered the original title for
"Little House I . . ." was "Return of The Son of The Hunchback Duke".
Sounds like a good title for Ahmet Zappa book.
Idea Drew you should make this suggestion to the other, "Son of Frank".

At this point the show runs like a well greased non-stop frieght train.
"Little House ..." into "Aybe Sea", right into "Trans. Boogie" to "Help, I'm A Rock
and finally a Doo-Wopping Igor!
What a ride! Three cheers for the Mothers!
And so long to Lowell. Sad

Quote:
Z_wonders "Good night boys & girls"

Here are a few sites (cough! I have a bad cold, excuse me smile003 ) sites that discuss this recording. Enjoy.

I had a great time listening and learning about this fantastic evening.
Thanks again to all involved! Very Happy

You don't see too many photos of Army vet. Charles "Buzz Gardner" Guanerra (also Don P's room mate).
Here's one below with the boys.

Is there any video of Buzz with the Mothers and can someone point out his playing on this
recording?

UPDATE:

drdork wrote:
Hughgotit76 wrote:
Is there any video of Buzz with the Mothers

Buzz appears in Motorhead's home movies in Uncle Meat. See the middle shot here: <http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/videography/1965-69.html#MOI69>.

Hughgotit76 wrote:
and can someone point out his playing on this recording?

Buzz is audible throughout this tape, panned towards the right. He plays a long solo in King Kong (6:48-10:31). He's also prominent in parts of Uncle Meat (2:11-3:28), Eye Of Agamotto (4:00-5:34), and Hungry Freaks Daddy (1:54-2:22).

Some Ballet Music, Kung Fu, and parts of Igor's Boogie are just Buzz (on flügelhorn), Bunk, Ian, and Art.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-11-27 15:37   [Quote] 
Hughgotit76 wrote:
Can someone tell why me I love the sound of these garbage can sounding drums so much?

This is obviously not the case of this recording, but I think it's worth pointing out that FZ did use a set of garbage cans in the percussion section in some orchestral works (most notably Pedro's Dowry). Wink

As far as I know the first Western musician to do this was John Cage, back in the 1940's, but don't quote me on it.

HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-11-28 20:27   [Quote] 
nitramziarreh wrote:
FZ did use a set of garbage cans in the percussion section in some orchestral works (most notably Pedro's Dowry).
I didn't know that. Interesting.
They way they miked up the drums in the old days, always reminds me of old metal garbage cans. It really dates the music, but I like it.
Our urban underground performers (here in NYC) have been using and perfer plastic garbage cans/buckets for years. Which is a better tone during the early morning commute.

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
yetanother
Power Poster
brazil.gif
Post 2010-11-28 23:22   [Quote] 
Hughgotit76 wrote:
Our urban underground performers (here in NYC) have been using and perfer plastic garbage cans/buckets for years.

Yes, like I said, I believe Cage was the one who set that trend over there, about 70 years ago Smile

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Listening (Sessions, Specials, Extras) -> Archived Reviews Forum All times are GMT

Jump to: