Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
1982 07 08 Pistoia IT 124.14 AUD 1st (GCT-Drew51-Chunga's Revenge-flambay) ZTLS#409
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  
DesireVie
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-16 23:41   [Quote] 
Thank you!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
elviszappa
Poster
Post 2010-02-17 00:25   [Quote] 
I also have got these tapes from GCT. Here are a couple notes he sent me about this show and the tour.

1982 Tour of Italy : Oh well.....too many things to tell here.....first of all: I was there along with Massimo Bassoli (...remember the Palermo small riot with Massimo saying in italian to the audience to stay calm?) and always following Thomas Nordegg, one of the strange friends Zappa loved to bring with him. Thomas was always around shooting everything with his small camera...and there was plenty of things to shoot ! Zappa was so pleased by that band and happy with the italian tour (the very first long tour he never played here) to ask himself to add a sicilian date (!) to visit the town where his father came off, Partinico, that he decided to have a double live album whose name should have been The Live adventures of the man from Utopia, where utopia stands for Italy. An italian artist, Tanino Liberatore, was introduced to Frank from Massimo and he was so impressed by his character, Rank Xerox, to ask him to draw an entire book with all the stories happened to him and the band during the tour. What remained from that project had been the simple studio album Man from Utopia and the only thing Tanino sold to zappa was the cover of the album and that's why you see the android Zappa/Rank playing with the Milano mosquitos and the arrows indicating the italian tour dates. In the back of the cover of that album, you can see in the bottom part of it, a girl with curly hair and white shirt, that's Valentina, my previous girlfriend who helped Tanino speaking with Zappa; you can even see Smothers crashing the head of an italian journalist (Red Ronnie) who had been caught taping the show after the interview.....
Please listen very carefully to the Pistoia show which had been one of the best for me and all the added lyrics where Zappa and the rest of the band teasing Francesco Sanavio, the italian promoter who wasn't paying the band.......the jokes on the laughs you can hear are always on him and, finally, I believe that show features the funniest band intro ever...
There would be a lot to tell...the italian tutoring lessons to the italian guys in the band (Vai, Mars), the discovering of the Roman sign during a visit in Rome, the local promoters who added videowalls on the side of the stage to show the football games (Pistoia intro) of the world cup Italy won that year.....I'll tell you if you'll be interested.....
Goodnight, ciao, giancarlo
>>
Lugano 1976 and Pistoia 1982.....both tapes have two necessary edits. Lugano from Honey...on has its sound quality increased because the source is now from a videotape an occasionally friend of north Italy made when he decided to leave his place close to the stage and go a little bit far from Smothers' control position to shoot the concert. If this would help you John was wearing an army combat dress that night; I can perfectly remember. He had two sort of spaces left in the middle of the PA system he could watch people through and as soon as he noticed people taping the show he stressed it to a couple of bodyguards who ran through the audiences kicking asses and throwing away tapes and batteries! And that's probably why you can hardly listen to a good quality tape of that european tour!!! Anyway, the guy later sent me his audio part against my audio...and......I know what you're thinking....no, I had been so stupid not to ask for the video part simply because I didn't own a video recorder in 1976. So you'll have a better audio for half the show and, at the same time, a disappointing feeling knowing that somewhere in Italy it could always been alive someone who has an unseen video of Frank. Should I add that I don't even remember his name....?!?
In Pistoia 1982 I missed the first two encores Man from Utopia/Cherry pride because of my tape recorder which did its job perfectly (you'll appreciate that I hope!) 'till that moment, to start again working from the second encore on. Maybe I inserted the tape too fast not to miss a second and it simply didn't work. These few minutes have been replaced with another master from another recorder - yes, that show was higly covered! - with a little less audio quality you'll enjoy anyway and probably not even guessed it....but I want to be specific the most I can.

That's all. Now it's up to you. Let me know when you'll get first, then hear them. I'll be waiting to know if the pain had been worth the waiting.
Goodbye,
giancarlo
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Nappy
Poster
uk.gif
Post 2010-02-17 00:35   [Quote] 
Thank you very much
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Al Fresco
Contributor
spain.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-17 00:51   [Quote] 
Great to hear these memories, Giancarlo. Smile

A pic that probably sounds to you: http://www.afka.net/images/Mags-pic/ElVibora_83_09-1.jpg
 [Profile]  [PM] 
voodoostrat
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-17 01:43   [Quote] 
Thanks to all.

furietto
italy.gif
Post 2010-02-17 08:13   [Quote] 
prost prost prost One of the most crazy show of the whole crazy '82 italian tour! Maybe someone doesn't know, but Frank was very angry with the local promoter for a problem of missing payments. So he played with incredible rage and changed a lot of words to his songs. You can even hear him singing "Francesco if you don't give us our money" somewhere during the concert! Anyway, a must. Thank you very much
 [Profile]  [PM] 
thebrew
canada.gif
Post 2010-02-17 08:46   [Quote] 
Frank saved some of his best guitar work for 82'..... appreciated! Nice stuff Smile

TomJong
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2010-02-17 10:23   [Quote] 
Danke!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
ivester
Busy Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-17 12:40   [Quote] 
Grazie mille! Kitchenaire's cool <-- That's an Italian chef, there, who went to the shows and was semi-blinded by the sun and the intensity of the solos!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
doctorzap
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2010-02-17 13:21   [Quote] 
ivester wrote:
Grazie mille! Kitchenaire's cool <-- That's an Italian chef, there, who went to the shows and was semi-blinded by the sun and the intensity of the solos!
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Stucco Holmes
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-17 17:24   [Quote] 
Thanks for the notes about the show...always cool to hear stories from these events by folks who were there.
Many thanks for putting this awesome sounding show together for us you guys!! cheers
I wish the vault would release a recording from this tour in all it's glory!!
tunes

StefanoVai
italy.gif
Post 2010-02-17 22:57   [Quote] 
elviszappa wrote:
I also have got these tapes from GCT.
Goodbye,
giancarlo

Great Giancarlo! Maybe is now in this site?
I will to meet again!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mike comisky
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-18 03:08   [Quote] 
thank you for sharing this version!

yours in fz,
mike
 [Profile]  [PM] 
aybesea
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-18 07:06   [Quote] 
This is an AUD???? Holy...

Ain't heard an aud this good since Boston Music Hall '76.

Thanks tunes
 [Profile]  [PM] 
voodn
usa.gif
Post 2010-02-18 14:59   [Quote] 
Totally new one for me, like nearly everything else here.

Thanks!

New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 4 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> FZ Shows All times are GMT + 1 Hour

Jump to: