Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Thank the Gods for Ed Palermo!
Goto page:  1, 2  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-01 23:27   [Quote] 
One reason I collect Zappa is how everything evolves and changes though the years, and arrangements for different players and such. It became even more desirable after Frank left us, knowing nothing really new was ever possible again. In a small way Ed has helped with this. He has made extremely complex, new arrangements of Frank's work. It adds layers to the composition with different emphisis then is heard with Frank's versions. As mentioned here before, Ed seems really the only one moving the music ahead. Not copying something already done. Sure it's not Frank, and so it will never be like that. But like audience tapes, new ascpects, arrangements really make the music new again. Ed is a genius arranger. Sure, so was Frank, Ed is a Frank level arranger. If you don't like cover bands, well Ed Palermo's Big Band is not a cover band. It's a real band. From Varese to Edgar Winter, to great swing, Ed does it all. Ed had a band ten years before they tried any Zappa arrangements. What I miss I think most is the enthusiam in Frank's band, well Ed's band has plenty, at last, somebody who gets it!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
rael20
usa.gif
Post 2009-06-01 23:56   [Quote] 
Agreed, Ed is brilliant! His new album is fantastic, I haven't stopped listening to it since I got my copy...

chuck
Poster
australia.gif
Post 2009-06-02 02:43   [Quote] 
Ed is brilliant... you have hit the nail on the head with regards to him not being a covers band. His Cds and shows get a lot of spins around here.. the kids really respond well to them as well.. maybe the feel and the horns.

Drew51 do you have any Ed Big Band stuff that aren't Zappa.. I really want to hear what he does with other music arrangements. There is a bit on his website but interested in more.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-04 06:54   [Quote] 
I just got back from the EPBB show @ the Iridium in NYC. I caught the early show (Ed promised a different set list for the 2nd show). Here's a incomplete list of the 8:30 show.
Ed opens with a sax solo
Sofa
Early Frank doo-wop (according to Ed)
Plastic People
Easy Meat (2nd section rearranged nicely by Ed)
Oh No
Florentine Pogen
Montana (instrumental/another excellent rearrangement)
I missed a few, I'm sure. The encore was I believe,
Envelopes (I'm pretty sure, of course 4 pints tend to cloud my memory)

The sound was great. We met a few old Zappa freaks who had been at the Ritz & Palladium shows like us. I told them to check out this website for all that is Zappa. I highly recommend this venue. It's set up like the old Bottom Line where EPBB used to play. very cozy. Ed & Band really do an excellent job with Frank's music. The set list flows just like a FZ show and you get some fantastic solos from some of the 14? members of this wonderful ensemble.
The band is super tight, yet there is a confident playfulness among the musicians. Ed's arrangements are unpredictable and well thought out. An all-around great night. Thanks to Ed & his super-talented Big Band!

After chatting to Ed at the end of the early show he turned to a guy behind me and said, " Hi Drew!". For a minute I thought maybe Drew51 was in town! Of course the real Drew51 is home watching his favorite hockey team. The Red Wings?

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
TomNY
usa.gif
Post 2009-06-04 14:15   [Quote] 
Sorry I didn't get to see you last night. You must have seen me, I was at the end of the bar by the door selling Ed's CDs. Glad you liked the show, too bad you couldn't stick around for the second set but I know it was a Wednesday and you probably have work today. A good time seemed to be had by all. Step up and say Hi next time, as you could see at a Palermo show I'm not hard to find.

Tom
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-04 14:36   [Quote] 
Quote:
After chatting to Ed at the end of the early show he turned to a guy behind me and said, " Hi Drew!". For a minute I thought maybe Drew51 was in town! Of course the real Drew51 is home watching his favorite hockey team. The Red Wings?

Damn you guys are really getting to know me! I watched with a few friends had a great time, but I would gladly miss the game to see Ed! I'm not a super huge hockey fan, like Lagz is, he is a huge fan, and probably cheering for Pittsburgh, wishing his Philly team was there instead.
My friends though are huge fans, and I'm friends with one hockey player. Dave Feamster. I grew up with him. He played 3 years for Chicago. You can see his jersey at the Hockeytown Cafe in Detroit.

Quote:
Drew51 do you have any Ed Big Band stuff that aren't Zappa.. I really want to hear what he does with other music arrangements. There is a bit on his website but interested in more.

No, which is a shame! I have looked but never found any. And no luck finding any Non-Zappa Palermo CDs, never seen a copy.
All we get is the occasional piece thrown in the Zappa shows. Such as the last one I posted with Fire and Ice by Edgar Winter, a good 10 minutes of non-Zappa anyway.

I really have no excuses for not seeing Ed, he plays here often at the Detroit Montreux Jazz Fest every year, and the damned event is free, so I have no excuses. i will go if he comes this year.
Oh I have been known to take trips to Chicago, but NYC sounds good. i have only been there once.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-05 04:57   [Quote] 
TomNY, you said hello when I walked in, but I had no idea it was you. Next time I'll stop for a chat. Yeah, my buddy had a 5am wake-up call, so we skipped the 2nd show. What did I miss? I must learn to leave the early risers home in the future!

Drew51, come back to NYC and next time don't miss ED!

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
TomNY
usa.gif
Post 2009-06-05 15:38   [Quote] 
Well I have to admit that I couldn't tell you all of what you missed, because as he did in the first show, Ed went through many songs without stopping, and I was drinking allot of Booker's 126 proof bourbon on the rocks. I do remember Peaches, and Regyptian Strut, he also did the humor portion of the evening where a guy comes out and does a kind of low-budget Sinatra and sings "cheesy" big band versions of Mrs. Robinson and some others. Bruce the guitar player (and producer of the new album) sang Procol Harum's Wreck of the Hesperus.
I also was occupied trying to sell Ed's discs and there was a gorgeous waitress who is doing some sort of performance later this month, and in trying to get people to attend she was "working" me heavily.
Hopefully next show we can chat. Do you know if there were any other Zappateers there?
Glad you were able to make it out and enjoy the show.

Tom
 [Profile]  [PM] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2009-06-06 14:40   [Quote] 
Real bummed I missed the show. No other band I can think of is more worthy of support.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
HughGotIt
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-07 03:02   [Quote] 
Brainpang, Palermo is supposed to special guest with Project/Object at Maxwell's in Hoboken on July 1st.

TomNY wrote:
Quote:
Do you know if there were any other Zappateers there?

Two of the four dudes sitting by our table knew of Zappateers when i asked them, but the music started and i forgot to ask for usernames. Embarassed

Tom it sounds like you had a Lonesome Cowboy Burt moment at the Iridium.
"Come on in this place
An I'll buy you a taste.
You can sit on my face.
Where's my waitress?"

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
brainpang
Power Poster
Post 2009-06-07 13:23   [Quote] 
Yea, at least I caught Ed in Long Island a few months ago. I'm into jazz so I like to get out and show my support in person for all the players. Iridium is a good spot...and the food is exceptional for that type of situation.

I've seen Ed guest w/P/O 3 x...typically for the last 2 songs. The Maxwell's date is on my calendar. Interesting spot for them. Maxwell's is a bit elitist and a lot of bands would kill to get booked there. It's memorable to me as I attended the loudest show of my life there in 1984: (butthole surfers).
 [Profile]  [PM] 
billm
Post 2009-06-24 19:49   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
CheepnisAroma
Contributor
EU.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-24 20:01   [Quote] 
drew51 wrote:
One reason I collect Zappa is how everything evolves and changes though the years, and arrangements for different players and such.

That's very true!
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Idiot
Power Poster
uk.gif
Post 2009-06-24 20:44   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Drew51
Contributor
usa.gif
Contributor
Post 2009-06-24 20:46   [Quote] 
CheepnisAroma wrote:
drew51 wrote:
One reason I collect Zappa is how everything evolves and changes though the years, and arrangements for different players and such.

That's very true!

The next Palermo show I put up from 4/18/97 has G-Spot Tornado, a great version, interesting to listen to it evolve. You will hear the changes with the 8/15/97 show (under construction). Also I have a 96 Ensemble Modern show in the works, interesting to hear the classical approach versus the jazz approach to this piece. I like the jazz version myself that Ed does, but EM are very good at what they do, the best. Palermo is on this level too, those jazz arrangements are very complicated and make for great listening.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 1 of 2 Goto page:  1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: