Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Lumpy Money
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner
swiftsmurf8
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-09 14:10   [Quote] 
I wonder if this will include any or possibly the complete "people in the piano" conversations?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-10 21:28   [Quote] 
The complete "people in the piano" conversations would likely run for hours. So probably not.

The Billboard article, in the middle of half-truths and misinformation (such as Zappa "deciding" to retool the Capitol version of Lumpy Gravy as if he was unhappy with it or something. He certainly was unhappy, but not with the music), mentions "two separate mixes of each album" - sounds like we may finally get to hear the long lost Lumpy Gravy drum-and-bass overdubs.

However, if the Billboard article is to be trusted, that'll mean the rarities will be largely confined to the third disc, as the Money/Gravy album runs about 70 minutes, give or take. Two mixes of each album would therefore eat up two whole discs - perhaps leaving a little bit left over for a brief snippet at the beginning or end of each album, sorta similar to Playground Psychotics.

The orchestral Lumpy Gravy currently circulating runs about 24 minutes or so, so that leaves 50 minutes for probably-never-before-heard all-new documentary material. Nobbad, especially with a sequel in the works Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
MysteryBurger
Power Poster
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-10 21:38   [Quote] 
looking forward to it

Last edited by MysteryBurger on 2008-11-10 22:01; edited 1 time in total
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Galeans
Contributor
Contributor
Post 2008-11-10 21:39   [Quote] 
Whatever they put into it I'll take it. I look foward to this project Very Happy

For the first time in my life: THANK YOU, GAIL! THIS WILL ROCK THE HELL OUT OF ME!!

cheers

pbuzby
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-10 21:57   [Quote] 
Zappa Penguin wrote:
(such as Zappa "deciding" to retool the Capitol version of Lumpy Gravy as if he was unhappy with it or something. He certainly was unhappy, but not with the music)

FZ says here:

Quote:

MGM refused to allow this album to be released, and there was an argument over it for a year, finally resulting in MGM buying the master tape from Capitol, and then, I added the vocal parts in there, and it came out.

This leads me to think that, despite the Capitol/MGM dispute, FZ could have released the instrumental LG on Verve if he wanted to. Anyone have different info?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mrmike
Power Poster
Post 2008-11-11 16:38   [Quote] 
Yojimbo wrote:
Let's keep our fingers crossed that the 40th anniversary edition of Joe's Menage in 2048 will include the full concert! Mr. Green
laughing my ass off
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
Zappa Penguin
Site Admin
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-12 06:19   [Quote] 
pbuzby wrote:
This leads me to think that, despite the Capitol/MGM dispute, FZ could have released the instrumental LG on Verve if he wanted to. Anyone have different info?

It's just voodoo mind reading, but I suspect that once the project switched from Capitol to MGM, despite being on the "prestigious" black label, Frank got PO'd and "popped it up" - or at least the MOI style of pop.

It could be just as easily said, though, that Frank was deliberately holding back on the "pop" for the Capitol version, since the entire deal hinged on him being nothing more than a composer/conductor.

So who really knows.
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
db
Post 2008-11-15 23:17   [Quote] 
My question is - when this Lumpy Money comes out - will it be the definitive version of WOIIFTM? Up to now, what are the definitive versions to have?

The Mobile Fidelity?

http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=67

The original vinyl needle drop?

The original CD pairing of Lumpy and Money?

Any clues?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
mrmike
Power Poster
Post 2008-11-15 23:34   [Quote] 
Good question db

Let's say this will be a test of their intelligence...
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
db
Post 2008-11-15 23:48   [Quote] 
I just read this so I guess that answers my question...for now anyway:
http://lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/money.html
 [Profile]  [PM] 
zachy
Poster
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-16 00:11   [Quote] 
The Bastard Son wrote:
"Lumpy Money" will come out 10 days after my birthday, and it'll make it a perfect gift for me. Thank you Gail, more of this stuff! Very Happy
Ha, I can beat that! Lumpy Money comes out on my birthday! My 21st, to boot. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to buy it myself instead of making somebody get it for me... Laughing

Hey wait, does that mean that your birthday is today? Cheers mate!

ndawer
Post 2008-11-20 20:21   [Quote] 
does anyone know the tracklisting?
 [Profile]  [PM] 
Weirdomusic
Poster
netherlands.gif
Post 2008-11-20 22:51   [Quote] 
ndawer wrote:
does anyone know the tracklisting?

Hey, this is the ZFT.... They think we don't care about tracklistings. Mad
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
JGroFZ
usa.gif
Post 2008-11-22 19:46   [Quote] 
Isn't this supposed to be released on Tuesday? Is that when they plan on putting any info up on zappa.com?

PappaWas
Poster
england.gif
Post 2008-11-22 20:58   [Quote] 
JGroFZ wrote:
Isn't this supposed to be released on Tuesday? Is that when they plan on putting any info up on zappa.com?

I would gesture to say this has been delayed.

It seems this happens alot - ZFT releasing right near Xmas or the New Year. Doesn't bother me per se', but I always worry my order will get lost in the masses of Christmas mail....
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 4 of 7 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Speakers Corner All times are GMT

Jump to: