Tracker|Orphanz|FZShows|Catalogue| FAQ |Search |Register|Mail us

Profile |Log in to check your private messages |Log in|Chat Room|Scrapbook|Zappateers map
Please tell me about speed correction and Spectrum analysis
Goto page:   Previous  1, 2  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker
DrZurkon
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2005-08-24 00:49   [Quote] 
Come on folks, in parts this looks like the blinds discussing colours ...

Sound is moving air molekules. A microphone is an analogue device that is usually engineered to filter out the frequencies that can be heard by human ears, defined as the range between 20 and 20kHz. (The sound you can actually hear depends a lot on your age, looking at the average age here i guess that 12kHz might be the upper limit for most of us, even if we do not want to realize this.)

Recording used to be analogue in the times we are talking about. In most cases this was a cassette recorder which generally is a piece of shit regarding recording quality. Recording situation was often horrible because mic and recording device were subject to be hidden, venues were not build for music performance, pa systems were limited etc etc etc...
But, the recordings were made and survived decades.

Digitizing analogue signals does not loose any information (data is not the right term regarding analogue signals) if the sampling rate is more than 2 times the highest frequency occuring in the signal, so the cd sampling rate of 44,1 kHz (48kHz for professional use) is no problem. (Yes, theoretically, because the a/d converter has to be linear and proper flitering has to be done etc...)

Now about storing data retrieved by digitizing. Storing as is, like in a wav or aiff file, allows to perfectly reconstruct the (somewhat shitty, see above) analogue signal. To reduce storage space and data bandwidth needed, compression algorithms were developed. They can be divided into lossless, like flac or shn, or lossy, like mp3 or atrac.
The lossless algorithms are strictly mathematical and still allow perfect reconstruction of the analogue signal. The lossy ones, as the name says, skip more or less data due to the restrictions of the human hearing process.

This is the point where your personal opinion comes into the game. Some people hear it, others don't. (Some people even pretend to hear the difference between certain speaker cables btw...) If a recording sounds good or bad is not necessarily related to the type of compression but to your personal reception.

Looking at the discussion about "not polluting the gene pool" it will sure be wise to not convert lossy formats back and forth somewhere down the line as multiple conversions even of "not so lossy" algorithms can add horrible artifacts to the signal, like copying from one cassette to another in the old days.

But... we should keep in mind that, regarding the material we are talking about here (the classic fz shows), the above discussion is somewhat strictly academic. One of the last sessions had some horrible speed problems that made it nearly unlistenable, a discussion if that one has been converted back and forth would just be ridiculous.

So just relax, people, and let your ears decide what is worth to be posted here. The reason not to accept mp3s or other lossy formats can only be that there must be something they were made from and to encourage people to make them available to the world.

And a final word to the ones that do not have any "original" material (most of the nearly 2000 subscribers here i guess): nobody is forced to post something here just to be in the game, so please do not post "mp3 sourced lossless" to just look great. Download and keep the slots open for others, because we're only in it for the music.

Thank you.
 [Profile]  [PM] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2005-08-24 06:29   [Quote] 
DrZurkon, Cheers!

Wink
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
WIU2B
Contributor
netherlands.gif
Contributor
Post 2005-08-24 07:40   [Quote] 
DrZurkon, Words of wisdom. You are a true gentleman and a scholar Smile

[Profile]  [PM] 
Alyks
canada.gif
Post 2005-08-24 17:01   [Quote] 
And a judge of fine wines.

StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2005-08-24 22:29   [Quote] 
DrZurkon wrote:
Come on folks, in parts this looks like the blinds discussing colours ...

Yes quite right Exclamation

I don't want to prolong this argument but I have seeded a small part of my EPBB recording from Zappanale #13, which was recorded on MD.

I would like you people who are more experienced that me in these matters to download and do a full spectrum analysis and feedback to me.

I want to know:-
1. Are there any problems with the sample recording?
2. What is the considered opinion about seeding these shows?
3. If I go to future shows would people welcome MD based recordings?
The last show I recorded was The Muffin Men at Leeds which I did not distribute as the sound was appalling (PA worst I have heard).

Last question - can anyone point me in the direction of a decent (free) tag editing software?

Finally - up with The Judean People's Front, down with the The Judean Popular People's Front if you get my drift Mr. Green

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
BengoFury
Site Admin
sweden.gif
Post 2005-08-25 06:41   [Quote] 
Quote:
2. What is the considered opinion about seeding these shows?

Seeding MD sourced shows will always be OK, as long as it's a unique recording. That policy is used on all serious trackers.

Quote:
3. If I go to future shows would people welcome MD based recordings?

Yes, see above Wink

Natch, natch, know what i mean?
 [Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
StatusBaby
Site Admin
EU.gif
Post 2005-08-28 09:44   [Quote] 
I spoke to a sound engineer who I work with occasionally and asked him to view these pages - his comments echo Dr Zurkon's conclusions:-

Hi Paul

In purely scientific/accurate terms - all digitisation loses information, or at least corrupts it..

As the old analogy goes, imagine drawing a staircase along a sine-wave, instead of the wavy line that it is..
The more samples per second gives you a fine staircase and the fewer, the larger the steps!

What is more correct to say is that it has been proven that having a sampling frequency at least double the bandwidth - e.g. 40kHz for 20Hz - 20kHz - it is not usually perceptible that there has been digitisation. I would say that, for me, 48kHz is good.. Most people won't notice at all at any reasonable frequency, unless you do an A-B comparison - and even then, the majority will have to be told to concentrate..

Hope that helps
R

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them - Karl Popper

[Profile]  [PM]  [www] 
DrZurkon
Poster
germany.gif
Post 2005-08-28 13:03   [Quote] 
 [Profile]  [PM] 
New topic title
Forum for new topic

Page 2 of 2 Goto page:   Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zappateers.com Forum Index -> Questions, Questions, Questions... -> Technical Mumbo-Jumbo For Board & Tracker All times are GMT

Jump to: